Otaku Style
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favourite VN?

3 posters

Go down

What is your favourite VN? Empty What is your favourite VN?

Post by SleepyOtaku Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:02 am

My favourite was Saya no Uta for a long time, but ever since I started Steins;Gate, I fell in love with that one. xD Unfortunately, I lost all my data for Steins;Gate when I was switching computers, so I haven't completed it yet. >:c

What is your favourite visual novel?
SleepyOtaku
SleepyOtaku
Admin

http://otakustyle.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

What is your favourite VN? Empty Re: What is your favourite VN?

Post by AndeGame Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:56 am

I HATE READING!!! O.O I haven't played many honestly, so I can't really come up with names. Wouldn't mind playing Clannad though, I loved the anime so I think I should like the VN
AndeGame
AndeGame

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:57 am

AndeGame wrote:I HATE READING!!! O.O I haven't played many honestly, so I can't really come up with names. Wouldn't mind playing Clannad though, I loved the anime so I think I should like the VN
You've played VN's before?! o.O

I am actually in the middle of playing Clannad right now! Surprised And the VN is so good! I am surprised that you would want to play that of all VN's, though... It's very long...
SleepyOtaku
SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:12 pm

My favorite is still Saya no Uta. I absolutely adore Lovecraft and a lot of the related art and literature, and Saya no Uta is just such a perfect homage to that. I will readily admit that there aren't a whole lot I've read or played, though. Virtue's Last Reward is by far my favorite game with heavy visual novel elements though, and probably has my favorite plot of any game.
Mako Mankanshoku
Mako Mankanshoku

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Mako Mankanshoku wrote:My favorite is still Saya no Uta. I absolutely adore Lovecraft and a lot of the related art and literature, and Saya no Uta is just such a perfect homage to that. I will readily admit that there aren't a whole lot I've read or played, though. Virtue's Last Reward is by far my favorite game with heavy visual novel elements though, and probably has my favorite plot of any game.
Have you seen or read Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix? Saya no Uta was actually heavily based on the Resurrection arc from that. It blew my mind when I watched Phoenix and saw the similarities! I could not get over it, because until then, I thought Saya no Uta was completely original. I still like both titles a lot, though.
SleepyOtaku
SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:38 am

I can say with extreme conviction that a lot of the stuff in Saya no Uta is based on the Lovecraft Mythos, right down to the title of Saya's race. Phoenix probably has a lot of the same influences. If interviews and such are to be believed, many modern horror artists and authors cite Lovecraft as as an inspiration. He was the first major guy to successfully use "creatures beyond comprehension that could incite insanity" and such outside of a religious setting.

That being said, I haven't seen Phoenix yet and anything with those themes is usually a pretty solid watch from me.

Lovecraft's stories are a highly recommended read as some of the most widely appealing horror literature out there.
Mako Mankanshoku
Mako Mankanshoku

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 am

I did hear that about Saya no Uta, but I never actually read Lovecraft stories aside from Call of Cthulhu and At the Mountains of Madness, which were both really great reads. Regardless, I had no idea that the name of Saya's race was taken from Lovecraft. That's really interesting.

Phoenix is not horror, though. It's a collection of different stories featuring the theme of "reincarnation". In the Resurrection arc, it shares a protagonist who has gone through brain surgery that resulted in seeing the world in a disturbing way, aside from one girl who was actually not human. I won't say more than that, though, but I'm sure you can see the similarity to Saya no Uta from that.

I believe you on Lovecraft. Razz I enjoyed reading the two Lovecraft stories I did and I wouldn't doubt there are many more great titles from him.
SleepyOtaku
SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down