Otaku Style
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favourite anime series?

+2
Bakabits
SleepyOtaku
6 posters

Go down

What is your favourite anime series? Empty What is your favourite anime series?

Post by SleepyOtaku Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:54 am

For a long time, I had a long list of over 50 favourites that I could not choose from. Finally, when I watched Steins;Gate I came to the conclusion that it was my all-time favourite. ^^

What about yours?
SleepyOtaku
SleepyOtaku
Admin

http://otakustyle.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

What is your favourite anime series? Empty Re: What is your favourite anime series?

Post by Bakabits Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 pm

I have a few but Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica left a huge mark.
Bakabits
Bakabits
Community Ambassador

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Bakabits

Back to top Go down

What is your favourite anime series? Empty Re: What is your favourite anime series?

Post by SleepyOtaku Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Bakabits wrote:I have a few but Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica left a huge mark.
Those two are so similar too. I just noticed that recently thanks to this video:

Oh god the song. The soooong...
SleepyOtaku
SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bakabits Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:05 pm

SleepyOtaku wrote:
Those two are so similar too. I just noticed that recently thanks to this video:

Don't they have the same director?
Bakabits
Bakabits
Community Ambassador

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Bakabits

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Bakabits wrote:
SleepyOtaku wrote:

Don't they have the same director?
Nope, not even the same animation studio. They do both come from Nitroplus, though. Surprised
SleepyOtaku
SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Camarouge Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:09 pm

Clannad and Cowboy Bebop are mine, each one an emotional roller coaster.
Camarouge
Camarouge

Back to top Go down

What is your favourite anime series? Empty Top 14 Anime

Post by James the Movie Reviewer Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Picking just one favorite is difficult, but my Top 14 are as followed:
1: Code Geass
2: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherood
3: Death Note
4: Steins Gate
5: Clannad/Clannad: After Story
6: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
7: Fate/Zero
8: Cowboy Bebop
9: Spice and Wolf
10: Neon Genesis Evangelion
11: Black Lagoon
12: Madoka Magica
13: Baccano
14: Trigun
James the Movie Reviewer
James the Movie Reviewer

http://jandjproductions1809.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:19 pm

James the Movie Reviewer wrote:Picking just one favorite is difficult, but my Top 14 are as followed:
1: Code Geass
2: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherood
3: Death Note
4: Steins Gate
5: Clannad/Clannad: After Story
6: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
7: Fate/Zero
8: Cowboy Bebop
9: Spice and Wolf
10: Neon Genesis Evangelion
11: Black Lagoon
12: Madoka Magica
13: Baccano
14: Trigun
I strongly approve of this list. *_*
SleepyOtaku
SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James the Movie Reviewer Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 am

SleepyOtaku wrote:

Now that is a cool video! Got to love the theme song, I am listening to it right now! It is one of the best openings in my opinion.
James the Movie Reviewer
James the Movie Reviewer

Back to top Go down

Post by James the Movie Reviewer Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:47 am

SleepyOtaku wrote:For a long time, I had a long list of over 50 favourites that I could not choose from. Finally, when I watched Steins;Gate I came to the conclusion that it was my all-time favourite. ^^

What about yours?

Steins Gate completely blew my mind when I first watched it! I have always been a big fan of time-travel stories in science fiction and I have to say that Steins Gate's take on the concept is the best. All of the rules it setup are essentially flawless. Also, the use of real life conspiracy theories and other real organizations like SERN (CERN in reality) and the IBN 5100 (IBM in reality) was made even more interesting for me since I was actually taking a History of Computing course for IT degree, which discussed those things, at the time of the series. Can't wait for Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu to get an official North American release.
James the Movie Reviewer
James the Movie Reviewer

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 pm

James the Movie Reviewer wrote:
SleepyOtaku wrote:For a long time, I had a long list of over 50 favourites that I could not choose from. Finally, when I watched Steins;Gate I came to the conclusion that it was my all-time favourite. ^^

What about yours?

Steins Gate completely blew my mind when I first watched it! I have always been a big fan of time-travel stories in science fiction and I have to say that Steins Gate's take on the concept is the best. All of the rules it setup are essentially flawless. Also, the use of real life conspiracy theories and other real organizations like SERN (CERN in reality) and the IBN 5100 (IBM in reality) was made even more interesting for me since I was actually taking a History of Computing course for IT degree, which discussed those things, at the time of the series. Can't wait for Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu to get an official North American release.
I completely agree! I keep thinking that there must be some flaw in the logic of Steins;Gate, but so far I haven't been able to find it. And the fact that they include details such as the black holes people were afraid of from the LHC, and John Titor in general, was brilliant! It gave the show a realistic feel. Is Fuka Ryouiki no Deja vu the movie?
SleepyOtaku
SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Princess Tutu is hands down my favorite anime of all time.

Some others that rank among my favorites, though, would include:
Serial Experiments: Lain, Nichijou, Azumanga Daioh and Kill la Kill

And my favorite anime movies are pretty much everything directed by Mamoru Hosoda and Satoshi Kon. I think of those two as geniuses.

Little Witch Academia, Paranoia Agent and Mitsudomoe deserve mention as well.
Mako Mankanshoku
Mako Mankanshoku

Back to top Go down

Post by James the Movie Reviewer Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Mako Mankanshoku wrote:Princess Tutu is hands down my favorite anime of all time.

Some others that rank among my favorites, though, would include:
Serial Experiments: Lain, Nichijou, Azumanga Daioh and Kill la Kill

And my favorite anime movies are pretty much everything directed by Mamoru Hosoda and Satoshi Kon. I think of those two as geniuses.

Little Witch Academia, Paranoia Agent and Mitsudomoe deserve mention as well.

Despite my skepticism about Princess Tutu, I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. I actually reviewed it today on my blog, if you are interested. Smile And Serial Experiments Lain is a series that would definitely make my Top 20. It is such a mind bending experience and the use of technology is way ahead of its time. Haven't seen the others though.
James the Movie Reviewer
James the Movie Reviewer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Despite my skepticism about Princess Tutu, I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. I actually reviewed it today on my blog, if you are interested. :)And Serial Experiments Lain is a series that would definitely make my Top 20. It is such a mind bending experience and the use of technology is way ahead of its time. Haven't seen the others though.

My experience was definitely not like yours. I was hooked in from the first few episodes. I also disagree with the idea that the second season is "far" superior to the first. I don't think trying to split it up like that does any justice to the overall structure of the anime. Its 2 cours exist to mirror old ballet pieces with a 'light' and a 'dark' half and the light half for the most part establishes a feeling of status quo and a connection to the characters without which the dark half would not be effective. Overall, I get this weird feeling from the way the review is written and what some of the commentators say that seem to suggest that "dark" or "manly" somehow equate to better.

It's not a bad review at all for someone with no experience with Shoujo, especially considering you were probably dealing in what's some of the most widely appealing stuff that Shoujo has to offer. But your lack of experience felt obvious to me while reading it. It's the first review of yours I've read, and I found the complete lack of any mention of the soundtrack, the animation or the voice acting strange. I feel the actual number is close to where it should be, though. You also man up to the fact that you're outside of your expertise though, and the overall reading experience is boosted by that honesty imo.

I'd like to recommend Revolutionary Princess Utena if you have any interest in pursuing more shoujo that appeal to wide demographics.

Last edited by Mako Mankanshoku on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mako Mankanshoku
Mako Mankanshoku

Back to top Go down

Post by James the Movie Reviewer Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Mako Mankanshoku wrote:
Despite my skepticism about Princess Tutu, I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. I actually reviewed it today on my blog, if you are interested. :)And Serial Experiments Lain is a series that would definitely make my Top 20. It is such a mind bending experience and the use of technology is way ahead of its time. Haven't seen the others though.

My experience was definitely not like yours. I was hooked in from the first few episodes. I also disagree with the idea that the second season is "far" superior to the first. I don't think trying to split it up like that does any justice to the overall structure of the anime. Its 2 cours exist to mirror old opera pieces with a 'light' and a 'dark' half and the light half for the most part establishes a feeling of status quo and a connection to the characters without which the dark half would not be effective. Overall, I get this weird feeling from the way the review is written and what some of the commentators say that seem to suggest that "dark" or "manly" somehow equate to better.

It's not a bad review at all for someone with no experience with Shoujo, especially considering you were probably dealing in what's some of the most widely appealing stuff that Shoujo has to offer. But your lack of experience felt obvious to me while reading it. It's the first review of yours I've read, and I found the complete lack of any mention of the soundtrack, the animation or the voice acting strange. I feel the actual number is close to where it should be, though. You also man up to the fact that you're outside of your expertise though, and the overall reading experience is boosted by that honesty imo.

I'd like to recommend Revolutionary Princess Utena if you have any interest in pursuing more shoujo that appeal to wide demographics.

Thank you for the input about my review. Well, yes, you cannot split up the seasons, as with most series, but what the very good first half setup came to fruition in the second half, which why I enjoyed it a lot more and the fact that I liked the characters more.
As for my review, this was my first mini-review where I just give a quick overview of the quality of the series. Most of reviews are more in-depth and discuss things such as . For a better example of my reviews, please read my reviews for Neon Genesis Evangelion and Spice and Wolf Season 1. Also, please note that some parts of my review are intended to convince the non-Otaku readers of my blog to watch the series by comparing it other things that they like.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will have to look into Revolutionary Princess Utena.
James the Movie Reviewer
James the Movie Reviewer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Oh, now my dreadful typo has been immortalized.

That aside though, this would definitely explain the focus on plot alone.

But, yes, I'm not really any sort of authority on anime, but I do form some opinions on the stuff that I really like, such as this show. I've never reviewed anything, and if I did it would definitely be a video game. Just thought you might appreciate some honest reader feedback, and I'm glad to see that you did!
Mako Mankanshoku
Mako Mankanshoku

Back to top Go down

Post by KyZin Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:21 pm

I don't think I've watched as many anime's as everyone else here but my favorite anime as of this moment is probably Tegne Toppen Gurren Lagen. Hope I spelled that right.
KyZin
KyZin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. You were very close!

That show is pretty much required watching for anybody that plans on making an action packed work of their own. I'm about to kick myself for mentioning it waaay too many times on this forum, but you should probably check out Kill la Kill. It has the same director and a lot of the same crew that did TTGL. Trigger is basically a collection of people who broke off from Gainax, Kyoani and 4°c if my memory isn't playing tricks on me. For that very same reason, you might wanna check out Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt.
Mako Mankanshoku
Mako Mankanshoku

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down